Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Week 16: The example of a mother!

It is May and Mother's Day has already come and gone.  Hard to believe!  I had a wonderful Mother's Day with my family.  My family made me breakfast, gave me presents, cards, and loves.  My husband offered to make dinner, but I wanted to make it with my kids.  We made homemade sushi and gyozas.  It was a Japanese night.  It was so enjoyable being together.  I feel some of my greatest joy when I see my family having a good time together.  Those are the moments that make it all worth it.  Mother's Day evening was one of those moments; having fun making dinner and then watching a slide show of me that my kids had put together.  It was great.  We all smiled and laughed together!  I felt so special and felt incredibly grateful for the children that have blessed my life.

I have thought a lot about motherhood lately.  It seems to always be on my mind.  I have been thinking about what is the most important thing I can do in teaching my children.  For me, I have come to realize that my example is the most important teaching tool I have in raising my children.  Whether I want to believe it or not, my children are always watching what I do and taking a mental note whether they know it or not.  Whether it be how I take care of my body, what I choose to do during my free time, how I speak of others, what music I choose to listen to, if I choose to read my scriptures, what I choose to do on the Sabbath, how I treat my family members, how I respond to my children, what talents I choose to develop, or what I choose to do for fun, my children are always watching and learning from me.  I must be constantly aware of the type of example I am setting.  My children are learning from me every hour of every day.  That can be a very overwhelming feeling.  I can't let it overwhelm me, but just take it one day at a time.

President David O. McKay once said of women:  "She who can paint a masterpiece or write a book that will influence millions deserves the admiration and the plaudits of mankind; but she who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters, whose influence will be felt through generations to come...long after paintings shall have faded, and books and statues shall have decayed or shall have been destroyed, deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God."     


What a blessing it is to be a mother!


This week's challenge:  be an example for good within and outside of my home

1 comment:

  1. Well said!

    Happy (late) Mother's Day to one of my very favorite mothers! Thanks for your example and insights. Sounds like your day was a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete