Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 2: My Little Alarm Clock

It was 5:45 a.m. this morning when I heard the door slam shut to my 3 year old's room.  I looked over at the clock and immediately began to feel frustration building up inside of me.  It only took seconds before he was in my room letting me know that he wanted to watch t.v.  I quietly let him know that it was too early in the morning to watch t.v., which he then immediately began to cry as loud as he could.  This indeed only made my frustration increase more and my blood pressure rise.

Tired and grumpy, and in an effort to get the last few minutes of sleep I could, I told him to hop into my bed and lay on the pillow next to me until my alarm went off.  As I was laying in bed with him by my side and listening to my husband sleep away, I thought, "A mother never gets to sleep in peace."  Right then, this little 3 year old hand slid under the sheets to hold my hand.  Instantly all the anger and frustration of waking up earlier than I wanted to melted away and I was reminded of my blessing of being a mother.

I am reading this great book titled, I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson.  In that book she says, "When mothers themselves begin to revere their callings, so much can change.  And surely, when a woman of virtue values motherhood above other pursuits, her children will "arise up, and call her blessed" (Proverbs 31:28)."

Tomorrow's challenge:  value motherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment