Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 9: The magic of humility

So I took my own advice and put into practice my post yesterday.  I had such great insights in my scripture study during the wee hours of the morning today.  My study took me to a word that I really haven't valued in the past as much as I should have.  I have always studied much about and tried to emulate, "faith, hope and charity", but have never truly studied in depth the word humility.  After today, I have a whole new outlook on the word humility and the importance of being a humble person.

In Mormon Doctrine, Bruce R. McConkie states:  "All progress in spiritual things is conditioned upon the prior attainment of humility.  We are commanded to be humble.  Humility must accompany repentance to qualify a person for baptism; it is required of all engaged in gospel service; is an essential attribute  for all who embark in the service of God; precedes the acquiring of wisdom from the Spirit; is needed to qualify the righteous to see God and without it no one can gain entrance to the kingdom of God hereafter."  WOW!!  I never knew the importance of humility.

In Mosiah 4:11, King Benjamin teaches:  "I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

Then he states the blessing of doing the above:

"And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true."  Mosiah 4:12


I want those blessings!!  As I strive to be the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend and neighbor, I have come to realize that I must be a woman of humility.  Without humility, I will not succeed!

Tomorrow's challenge:  begin my journey to deep humility

No comments:

Post a Comment