Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 6: Back to the basics...humility!!

Well as you can see, I have decided to post on a weekly basis instead of a daily basis from this point on.  Since starting this blog, I have enjoyed the time each day I have had to reflect on the day and look at the lessons I have learned and the things that I can work on to become a better person.


I am finding though, that I want more time to really focus on and put to practice more these little life lessons.  I have decided to give myself a whole week to work on a specific "life lesson moment", or "attribute" so that I may truly internalize it and make it more a part of me.  Because for me, that is the whole point of this journey.  Not to just write about a bunch of experiences, or favorite quotes every day, but to become a better person through putting to practice what I have learned.


So, my goal is to really focus that week on whatever thought, or life lesson, or attribute I was touched by and to truly study about it that week.  To think about it continually as I go about my daily life and to internalize it, so that maybe, it will start to become a part of me!!


With that in mind, this week I want to go back to that great word, humility!  I was really struck with what I learned on day 9 of my journey.  I truly believe that humility is one of the most important attributes we must internalize.


On the LDS.org website, humility is defined as:
"To be humble is to recognize gratefully our dependence on the Lord—to understand that we have constant need for His support. Humility is an acknowledgment that our talents and abilities are gifts from God. It is not a sign of weakness, timidity, or fear; it is an indication that we know where our true strength lies. We can be both humble and fearless. We can be both humble and courageous."


I love that it says we can be both humble and fearless; humble and courageous!  I think sometimes it takes courage to be humble.  If I were more humble, I know many of the daily heartaches and contention I experience would melt away.  I pray for more humility.  I look forward to the new week I have to study about and put into practice more humility in my life.  I know as I do so, more happiness will fill my soul.


This week's challenge: be humble in all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment